Friday, November 4, 2011

Africanized


I haven’t written in a while, this is not due to my lack of inspiration but merely the fact that I have been enjoying every aspect of the wild, I like technology hibernation. My laptop is like a reminder of the real world and the fast paced economic and political systems that don’t even stop to think of now. I have been fortunate enough to experience and explore Kenyan lifestyle for the past few months. Our base in the last month was Nairobi. The densely populated capital is grey with matatu fumes and framed by the breathtaking Ngong hills, there is a constant humming from the nonstop movement and a national park in between the chaos. This got me thinking…. I was researching Tanzania for the next episode of Out of Comfort and Into the Wild. I had memories of the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti national park. I am so thankful for the memories I have in the wild, for the turtles I have swam with, the camels I have ridden, the roads less travelled, the cat, the elephants and the people. I was reading reports on the on going debate to build the road through the Serengeti. That’s when it hit me; will my grandchildren or children ever see a rhino? Will the great migration be another folk tale past through the African generations. I just refuse to accept yes to either of those questions. The human race can be a selfish one, we do things selfishly, we arrive on a planet and populate it, we control every accept of the planet for our own enjoyment. The great migration is one of the last migrations of its calibre to exist in the world. To put a road through the Serengeti Nation Park would slowly destroy the migration, the road would intercept the natural migratory route of over two million animals to the plains of the Masai Mara. Whether the road is tarmac or not, it is an open invitation to heaps of traffic. The collisions on the road will be between wildlife and travellers causing friction and thus fences. Fences saw the death of migration of zebra and wildebeest in Botswana. The animals are so intelligent that the migration is not just a magical spectacle but it is an example of an ecosystem that is driven by mammals. Why cant we be this clever, why can’t we migrate across great distances. Why should we make it easier for ourselves by hacking into vast areas of wilderness and creating boarders and blocks for wildlife? The population increases by the second, endangered species from the oceans and the plain grow gradually scares. The decline of wildlife is moving rapidly. Africa is the most beautiful continent, the skies are high and the colours are bright. It is our responsibility to keep the continent alive, not to consume it. So I guess I use technology to vent and the media to entertain and bring awareness but my path of discovery has one intention and that is to try and help save what is so quickly being lost. Take yourself Out of Comfort and into the Wild! 

No comments:

Post a Comment